We all realize that the best time to sell anything is when demand is high and the supply of that item is limited.
The last two major reports issued by the National Association of Realtors (NAR) revealed information that suggests that now is a great time to sell your house.
Let’s look at the data covered by the latest Pending Home Sales Report and Existing Home Sales Report.
THE PENDING HOME SALES REPORTThe report announced that pending home sales (homes going into contract) are up 3.9% over last year, and have increased year-over-year now for 14 consecutive months. Lawrence Yun, NAR’s Chief Economist, expects demand to remain stable through the final two months of the year, and “forecasts existing-home sales to finish 2015 at a pace of 5.30 million – the highest since 2006.”
THE EXISTING HOME SALES REPORTThe most important data point revealed in the report was not sales but instead the inventory of homes on the market (supply). The report explained:
- Total housing inventory decreased 2.3% to 2.14 million homes available for sale
- That represents a 4.8-month supply at the current sales pace
- Unsold inventory is 4.5% lower than a year ago
1. "New and existing-home supply has struggled to improve, leading to few choices for buyers and no easement of the ongoing affordability concerns still prevalent in some markets."In real estate, there is a guideline that often applies. When there is less than 6 months inventory available, we are in a sellers’ market and we will see appreciation. Between 6-7 months is a neutral market where prices will increase at the rate of inflation. More than 7 months inventory means we are in a buyers’ market and should expect depreciation in home values. As Yun notes, we are currently in a sellers’ market (prices still increasing).
2. "Unless sizeable supply gains occur for new and existing homes, prices and rents will continue to exceed wages into next year and hamstring a large pool of potential buyers trying to buy a home.” As rents and prices increase, potential buyers will not able to save as much for a down payment and many may become priced out of the market.
If you are going to sell, now may be the time.
Click here to search Grayslake Homes for Sale.
Thinking of making a move?
Log onto my website at www.StarHomeTeam.com and search Northern Illinois Homes for sale.
Easily search Northern Illinois Homes for Sale with photos, open houses and virtual tours at StarHomeTeam.com
Jim Starwalt, Broker Owner
Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Star Homes
Find Me Online
Great Reasons to Sell Your Grayslake Home This Winter